Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dog Gone Dogs

Well if you haven't read my last post, Tipper came into season a month early so I drove off to the week three class to observe and pick up the training info that I hoped to do at home.

We started the class with a heel on a loose lead and a flat buckle collar....and my first thought was OMG this is going to take some work. I don't think Tipper has been on a flat collar since she was 12 weeks old. Logan, Cassie and Killian did pretty well. Our instructor Kim then presented me with a "rent a dog" his name was Noodles and he was a 12 inch high plastic dog! We used Noodles as a distraction for the meet and great and the leave it because Noodle presented quite a distraction.
Props were also brought out, a walker, a wheel chair and an umbrella. I don't think the wheel chair will be a problem since I spent a month in one last winter. However when O got home and introduced the umbrella Tipper quickly left the room. Which reminded me of the time I was riding a horse and and older woman came up behind her with an umbrella, before I knew it I was on the ground.
So out the clicker came. First toss the treat near the umbrella, then under it, then on top of the umbrella and finally closing it up and actually standing on it. We will see tomorrow how well the lesson was retained. So this week we have heel, leave it and don't freak out with the umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment