Saturday, May 26, 2012

I found an Angel!

By the time Apple and Razzle(Dazzle) were 15 days old, I knew in my heart they were deaf. I called my friend and co owner of the litter and sobbed my heart out. Giving her the news that I thought was a death sentence for these 2 beautiful babies.
I was committed to giving these 2 little girls the most love and the best life that could be packed into 7 or 8 weeks.As the days went by they seemed to show some signs of hearing, after all Apple was almost always awake standing alongside the other hearing puppies. On the other hand Razzle was often dead asleep in the crate. But many times when I went into the puppy room there they were sitting and staring at me waiting to be petted or fed or just picked up and loved.When I picked up Apple the tears would start to flow and she would look at me and lick them off my face, as if she was saying "it's okay, don't be sad.
After some research on the internet, I learned that deaf dogs can be trained and live very productive lives. After all if we could teach a gorilla to sign, why couldn't we teach a puppy the same thing. Yes it would be a lot of work but so is training a hearing puppy.
When the day came for the hearing test I handed off my babies to strangers and waited with tissue and a heavy heart, already knowing the results before they were confirmed. But I also knew that these babies would come home with me until I found them a home. The puppies and I started signing and after the first 10 minute lesson they knew the sit command! But would they remember it the next day? yes they did.
A week later and they are working on "yes" "sit""down" "watch me" and believe it or not "come"
And then an angel came into their lives.......SPOTTED DOG DALMATIAN RESCUE a non profit organization offered them a home where they will be trained as therapy dogs and placed in a forever home.
Support Spotted Dog Dalmatian Rescue with Spotted Dog Dalmatian Rescuedonatetab.firstgiving.comSpotted Dog Dalmatian Rescue is a great cause. You can show a little love by heading on over to the Facebook page titled "Spotted Dog Dalmatian Rescue" to help us spread awareness. You will make a huge difference by liking and sharing our message, or even just leaving a comment on our page.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, Great post......soo glad for this outcome!!! I know that Tanner's rescue organization also places deaf pups and takes full responsibility for them for the rest of their lives. Good for you!!!! Wags, Paula, Tanner and Tillie! Best of luck with Dazzle--she looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete