Monday, September 22, 2014

Day five 96 hours post op

Today is Friday, surgery was Monday afternoon, so we are rapidly approaching 96 hours post op and cocktail hour!

One of the things that I really hate to do with my dog is to leash walk them for going potty. I think it must stem from the hours of leash walking during dog show weekends. I much prefer just opening the door and letting them out into the yard and frankly I think they prefer it too! 

Let me tell you Tipper doesn't like the PT range of motion flexing one bit, and neither do I. We are doing 10 bend and then a bit of leg extension 2-3 times a day. By the time we get to the 3rd or 4th one she starts hitting me with her front paw. I know she is asking me to stop. Which I do for a minute or two. Then I count off 5,6,7,8,9 and last one. This little therapy session is followed by 15 minutes of icing, and that is the part she likes.

It's hard to explain to a dog that this is for their own good and every day it will get easier and easier. She just looks at me with those eyes that tell me,"mom I'm in pain". The fentanyl patch comes off today, and after daycare I will head off to the vets for some tramadol to make sure she doesn't have a lot of discomfort. I also think it's more likely she will start using the leg if she's comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment