Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pre Op Knee Surgery for Tipper

Everyone I meet asks me how she tore up her knee and the answer is we don't really know. Tipper first came up lame 3 years ago. We noticed a slight hitch in her step when she went around the ring. I made arrangements for some rehab and she was diagnosed with a illiosoas injury. We had a course of rehab and Tipper seemed much better. she finished her championship, had a litter of puppies and enjoyed retirement. All seemed well until June of 2013 when X-rays showed a change in her knees and a diagnosis of partial cruciate tear.

After hours of research and conversations with my vet and an orthopedic surgeon I opted for rest and therapy. Exercise was confined to a small 40x50 stone pen. Six months later she seemed good and then early 2014 the limp re appeared.she was not COMPLETLY lame but just showed random lameness. So we scheduled Tipper for cruciate surgery for September 15. 

I dropped her off at 9am with a planned surgery at 1 or 2 pm. Before we even got into the car Tipper knew something was up sand she refused to get in the car. There was no desire on her part to walk into that building! We checked in and the tech came to slip a lead on my baby girl. There is something traumatic about unbuckling a collar from your dogs neck at the vets. It took all my strength not to let the tears flow as my dog walked into the back of the hospital. I watched as she reluctantly followed the tech. 

Now I wait for the phone call...





No comments:

Post a Comment