Monday, January 16, 2012

Week Two of Canine Good Citizen

We had practiced the "park it" and I felt pretty confident that Tipper would perform. We arrived at class without any incident and  had acquired a new dog and owner in our class since the previous week. So the class consists of Logan the Wheaten & Valerie, Cassie the golden & Janet, Jeff & the Visla, Killian and Tipper & myself. Three new challenges were presented to us, the sit/stay, the down/stay and being left for 3 minutes out of sight!
Tipper barely knew the sit and was now being asked to stay. As for the down, the "sphinx" down was never going to turn into a stay and there was no way she was going to roll onto a hip but believe it or not she stayed sitting even with some tension on the leash. As for the down even though it was a "sphinx" down I was eventually able to put a treat on each paw and she waited to take them until I told her it was okay.
By using the treats on the paws you get the leave it and the stay all together. Now Tipper is a big momma's baby and when I was asked to leave her with the teacher and go out of sight for three minutes there was a moment of dread. Have you ever timed three minutes? Well 10 seconds seemed like an eternity! Three minutes was forever. When I walked back around the corner there was Tipper on one side of the instructor and Killian on the other side. She was standing calmly wagging her tail and looking directly at me. She passed that part with flying colors. When it came time to park it she couldn't seem to get much more than a paw on the mat. Next week we will bring her blanket which is really what the park it is all about. So we have much homework to do this week because I'm not really confident with those stit/down stays.
While I find myself concentrating on Tippers training, I am aware that the other dogs are also having their challenges in the class. The 2 things my dog has done well are the stand for examination and being left. Two experiences  that has been ingrained in her from her time going dog shows. Things she has been asked to do for a long time. So my advise to you if you are having trouble training your dog is celebrate and reward what they do well and just keep trying on the stuff that is not so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment