Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bright Orange Cheese Balls

Like anything else there is a wealth of knowledge out there for training your dog. I recently read "When Pigs Fly"In this book Jane uses the dogs natural behaviors to train a dog. I was intrigued by the "Cheese Ball Recall' so I am off to the grocery store in search of the giant barrel of cheese balls.
Margaux is going to be my guinea pig. She comes when she gets around to it where as her litter mate comes immediately.
The exercise seems pretty straight forward throw a bright orange cheese ball so it's easy to see and hopefully Margaux will run to it. As she does I run away from her, you need to keep watching the dog because as soon as she looks back in your direction you click and when she gets to you you treat. Seems pretty simple! You just keep repeating the exercise. Margaux should begin to think she is choosing to come. I'll let you know  next week how we make out. So far the basic exercises have worked, especially "charging" the clicker. I highly recommend the book "When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion.

No comments:

Post a Comment